Neo1973/OpenMoko as a laptop replacement

AVee openmoko-comunity at avee.org
Mon Nov 19 17:01:52 CET 2007

On Saturday 17 November 2007 21:09, Joshua Layne wrote:
> Ted Lemon wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-11-17 at 11:19 -0800, Michael Shiloh wrote:
> >> I'd like to explore adding a head mounted display to the Neo, like the
> >> i-glasses PC/SVGA Head Mounted Display at about $700. Would require
> >> an
> >> off-board SVGA controller, which could be prototyped with a USB SVGA
> >> controller, assuming Linux drivers can be found.
> >
> > I think when you add all the pieces together, this isn't going to be a
> > cost-effective solution, and it's not going to perform well either.
> > Head mounted displays need to get higher resolution before they're worth
> > the money.   What's the point of having a six-foot-tall screen in your
> > visual field if it's only 640x480?   And having direct access to the
> > frame buffer makes a big difference in performance.
> >
> > I like the way you're thinking, though - if it were possible to get
> > WUXGA glasses, that would completely solve the portable display problem.
> > And I don't think it's out of the question - it's just too soon.   The
> > parts you'd need to make one are only just becoming available.   But
> > it's with this in mind that I mention the DVI output - you really don't
> > want to plug VGA into a display like that.
>
> agreed.
>
> meanwhile, and I am well aware that this isn't FIC/OpenMoko hardware,
> but for a portable laptop replacement, I think the upcoming Nokia N810
> is a pretty good fit.
>
> no phone, but that's what the neo is for.
>
> still waiting on the unification device - one handheld to rule them all.

Your not the only one. The Nokia N810 has 2 advantages compare to the NEO, it
has a keyboard and a slightly bigger display. However, it does force me to
carry two devices, which is a major disadvantage.

Maybe one day there will be a NEO like device with a proper foldable display.
Or perhaps a build in beamer of some sort. Then add the laser projection
keyboard thinkgeek sells and find all hope of a decent battery live is
gone ;-)

AVee

--
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
account be allowed to do the job.