Use Neo w/out removing from pocket

Doug Jones dj6mf at frombob.to
Mon Nov 19 21:43:05 CET 2007

Michael Shiloh wrote:

> AVee wrote:
>

> New thread since I realized that I was guilty of hijacking the laptop
> replacement thread.
>
> My suggestion regarding a head mounted display was so that the Neo could
>   be used without taking removal from pocket, sort of the video display
> equivalent of the bluetooth headset. Ultimately, I'm sure we will have
> bluetooth head mounted displays, but we can prototype this right now
> with USB and start experimenting. What sort of applications make sense
> this way? What sort of new applications does this allow?
>
> I'm well aware that the input side of things is not addressed yet, but I
> think we can explore the video side without having to wait for a
> solution on the input side. It will come soon enough, I'm sure.
> Especially once we start showing what we can do on the output side.
>
> Michael

Seems unlikely bluetooth will ever be used for video.  Insufficient
bandwidth.

Ultra wideband, on the other hand, should work fine.  High bandwidth,
low power, but short range.

UWB chips are available.  Can get it in a USB dongle.  No special
drivers required  --  just looks like USB to the host.

But I think you would need USB 2.0 to make this work.  Current Neo
versions still use USB 1.1, don't they?

We need to build UWB into some future version of Neo.  That would open
many doors.