/. : Feds Have Access To Cellphone Tracking On Request

Jeff Andros jeff at bigredtj.com
Tue Nov 27 05:31:34 CET 2007

On 11/26/07, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200711 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I wonder how well this works on average.  If this would work well
> enough I don't believe we'd be seeing all the integrated GPS units for
> the claimed purpose of servicing E911.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E911#Wireless_Enhanced_911
I guess it's only the GSM/TDMA systems that use the towers to locate the
transmitters.

As for accuracy, I think I remember something on this list saying at least
300 feet 90% of the time in urban areas (as this is the defined minimum for
E911) If someone has the exact numbers feel free to chime in
--
Jeff