SIM card read/write [was Re: SIM Card Copy]

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 22:48:07 CET 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 3:55 PM, Nkoli <coomac at gmail.com> wrote:
> A previous post indicates that he's looking at ways to get a second sim card
> in the picture.
>
> I think it must be cumbersome to carry around a usb sim card reader that you
> attach and deattach each time you need the second sim. Might as well stick a
> compact second phone with a second sim card in your
> backpack/glovebox/storage unit and use bluetooth to link to the second card.
> Twould be instantaneous... always connected and no wires to mess around
> with. If symbian can do this, openmoko should be able to as well.
>
> Alternatively, you could pick up dual sim card holders on fleabay.

However, it would be nice if you could just put a sim card into the
Neo (or other OpenMoko) phone, select "copy sim to softsim" from the
menu, and have a software copy of the sim available in the phone.
Then you could change back to another physical sim card, and you would
have dual sim capability in the phone without the need for any extra
hardware at all.

Perhaps one could expand this - why settle for dual sim capability
when you could have multi sim capability?

I see a few possible obstacles:
- legal: is it ok (legally) to copy the sim? (IMHO, it should be, as
long as you are not trying to use the physical sim and the softsim
copy at the same time)
software: the OpenMoko phone stack would need the capability to handle
two (or more) sim cards at the same time. Not only being able to
receive calls for both / all sim cards automatically, but also allow
the user to select a sim card to call (or send sms messages) from, and
a way to inform the user about what sim card / phone number is being
called, in addition to who is calling.
This should be doable.

This would be a cool feature.
I know that I could definitely use the dual sim capability. I doubt
that I would have a need for multi sim capability.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen