Community Updates not working well and GTA02b4 in february

Erland Lewin erland at lewin.nu
Fri Nov 30 12:53:57 CET 2007

Christ van Willegen wrote:
> I've gathered from the e-mails that the GTA02 will be distributed to
> end users in Februari.
What e-mails are you referring to?

Have I missed a community update?

I find it frustrating that important information is not released through
the "community update" process, but rather leaks out as rumors from
other places.

For example, one of the most important questions for the entire
community (and *the* most important information for me) is the status of
the GTA02 development and when it will be available.

On November 24, Claes Mogren mentioned in passing in the end of a blog
post
(http://informationhunger.blogspot.com/2007/11/openmoko-is-growing.html)
that another revision was required of the GTA02. This was big news to
me. But I didn't know who Claes is, or how trustworthy the information
is (no offence, Claes!). He doesn't seem to work at Openmoko, so it
didn't seem to be first hand information.

When Michael Shiloh's update came on November 26th, he didn't even
mention that there would be a fourth hardware revision of the GTA02
(until asked).

This e-mail is another example (A February target date) of an
information rumor "out there" but not communicated from FIC/OpenMoko.

I think it would be good if major news, such as delays in the GTA02
development,  were released immediately to the community through
Michael. No need to wait two weeks between postings for major events!
And please cover the GTA02 developments in more detail and in every
community update!

I would like the feeling as a community member of getting up-to-date and
reliable information on major developments by following the Community
and Announcements mailing lists.

Sorry for whining,

Erland