3G status within the US?

Steve openmokolists at mysteryvortex.com
Tue Oct 9 04:47:12 CEST 2007

Brad Midgley wrote:
> We've heard bits and pieces on this. I believe where it stands is
> people are investigating and the GSM module likely needs a firmware
> update to handle a SIM like yours. Back when it was clear the P0
> needed a GSM firmware update, it was made more or less clear that this
> isn't an update that can be done in the field.

I wonder why this update can't be done in the field.  The only cellular
phones I can think of that had radio code which wasn't field updatable
were AMPS phones with the firmware in (OT/E)PROMs.  Surely the radio
firmware in the Neo 1973 is stored in some sort of reprogrammable
non-volatile memory.

This is a bit scary, Nokias and Motorolas made in the last 10 years,
even the iPhone is updatable.  What happens if there's some sort of big
bad bug in the firmware that shows up after it leaves the factory?

-Steve