Some ideas for the accelerometer

Fabian Off fabian2de-mailinglisten at
Fri Oct 12 11:59:18 CEST 2007

Am Freitag 12 Oktober 2007 11:44:52 schrieb Dietz Proepper:
> Hi,
> first, I'm new to this list, hello.
> Second, an the reason to subscribe ;-) I've got an idea for using the
> accelerometer. If it came up before, sorry for the bandwidth.
> But now, for the real stuff.
> The following scenario, you carry your phone in some pocket. Now it rings,
> but you want it to get quiet quickly. What happens? You start digging for
> your phone, struggle for the "get quiet" button. Wouldn't it be more
> comfortable to simply knock at the pocket (and therefore the phone),
> detect the acceleration of the shock and shut off the bell? I don't have a
> Neo to try, but if the accelerometer is sensible enough to realize such an
> event, it should be quite easy to implement I think.
> If that works, making "knocking the phone" some kind of input event might
> be the next logical step...
> What do you think?
> kindest regards,
> 	Dietz Proepper

Well, this exact idea didn't came up before, but there was a discussion
whether an accelerometer could/should be use for input. The summary is: No,
due to the fact the accelerations are too un-uniqe. They might happen while
walking, or anywhere else...

I personally do like this idea, but I think it's too hard to implent... (I'm
on a Macbook Pro with motion sensors, and it's nearly impossible to detect
whether it's been moved or shaken...)

	Fabian Off

Der frühe Vogel fängt den Wurm. Hier gelangen Sie zum neuen Yahoo! Mail: