Some feedback from using the neo as a phone for a day

Thomas Wood thomas at
Mon Oct 15 10:44:49 CEST 2007

Hi Igor,

It would be very useful if you could file your issues on the OpenMoko
bug tracker at This would ensure your
issues are dealt with and you receive proper feedback from the

On Sun, 2007-10-14 at 22:38 -0400, Igor Foox wrote:
> Yesterday (and today) I used the neo as a phone for the first time,
> after gsm started mostly working out of the box. I'm really excited
> about this development and I think that it marks a huge milestone for
> the project. So congratulations to everyone who worked so hard on this
> project!
> I've got a lot of feedback about my usage of the phone. Both minor
> points as well as bigger design issues. I'm going to post them here
> for discussion, in no particular order. But if there are better places
> where specific points should be redirected, I'll be happy to do that.
> A lot of the issues I'm going to raise are negative, but it's just
> constructive criticism from a user's point of view. :-)
> Voice/Talking:
> - There is a very strong amplification of background noise when in a
> voice call. If you are in a quiet room the sound is pretty good (and
> the volume is nice and loud). But when there is even mild background
> noise in your location it gets amplified, and both you and the other
> party barely hear anything.
>     - I tried playing with sidetone in alsamixer but that didn't help,
> so I don't think that that's the problem.
>     - I'm not sure in which component of the software stack this
> happens, but it seems to me that we might need to investigate some
> noise cancellation algorithms and apply those to the incoming sound
> when in a voice call. Does anyone have any experience with this, or
> does anyone at least know whether this is a common thing to do with
> cell phones?
> UI:
> - The current keyboard is highly unusable. I know it's intended to be
> used with a stylus, and it's fine for that, but it's completely
> unreasonable to expect a user to have a stylus for activities like
> SMS, or entering a new contact. And even with pretty small fingers
> it's pretty hard for me to type on the keyboard.
> - In the Contacts application, it's impossible to enter a phone number
> (and maybe an email address) for a contact when the phone is not
> connected to the GSM network.
> - In the dialer application there's apparently a 'cursor' that you can
> move by clicking somewhere on the textfield displaying the current
> phone number. But there is no visual feedback for the cursor so if you
> accidentally place it in the middle of a number you're left thinking
> you will be very confused.
> - The scrolling is very cool, but it's often difficult to scroll when
> the items you're scrolling are clickable, because it incorrectly gets
> recognized as a click.
> - The dialer does not always "pop up" on an incoming call. So when the
> phone starts ringing you need to open the dialer application and then
> answer the call.
> - The dialer application has the "hangup" button on the top right of
> the screen when in a call. When you actually talk on the phone it's
> [...]

OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices -