Neo1973 drawings

Sébastien Lorquet squalyl at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 09:27:02 CEST 2007

If someone gives me left-top-front etc views of a neo case... I can try to
do something with SolidEdge (academic version of SolidWorks). I can't
promise exactly when, maybe this weekend.

(And it would be helpful if neo's curves were circles and not complicated
splines... :D )

2007/10/18, Doug Jones <dj6mf at frombob.to>:

> >> for a start that some of us have made on the wiki. is anyone with a
> >> GTA01 up for whipping out their micrometer/3d scanner and knocking
> >> something together?
> >> even better, is anyone at FIC/openmoko able and willing to provide us
> >> with detailed drawings of the case?
> >
> > If this doesn't happen before next wednesday, remind me and I'll measure
> > up one of my GTA01s with my digital micrometer. I happen to be 1000km
> > from it this weekend (my micrometer not my neo :-)
>

> Would be great if somebody did a really thorough job of documenting the
> Neo case.  In other words, disassemble a Neo as described here:
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Disassembling_Neo1973
>
> and make nice orthographic images of all the case parts, from all angles
>   --  back, front, edge-on, etc.
>
> The easiest way to do this is to simply place the parts on a flatbed
> scanner.  And put a pair of short rulers on there too, at right angles,
> for calibration (millimeter scale!).
>
> The orthographic images produced in this way aren't perfect, but they're
> a lot better than what you get with an ordinary camera, at least for
> some purposes.  You don't have to worry about camera angles and such,
> and the resolution is potentially much higher too.
>
> By all means, make lots of measurements with the micrometer, everything
> you can think of that might be useful to somebody who wants to hack
> hardware or design add-on parts.  But with some good orthographic images
> uploaded into the wiki, people would have an opportunity to make
> measurements that weren't thought of when the micrometer measurements
> were made, or that aren't easy to make with a micrometer.
>
> Some non-trivial things to measure include draft angles and radii of
> curvature (there are lots of these, as molded parts rarely have true
> sharp corners on them  --  these corners are usually "radiused").
>
> Use a high resolution, true color, PNG format.  Leave the scanner lid up
> and turn off the room lights for a nice black background.
>
> Yes the image files will be large.  I don't mind, I have broadband.  :)

Sébastien LORQUET - 이세영 (李世榮)
Ingénieur ENSPG 2006 / ENSIMAG-ASI 2007