Trolltech drops greenphone for OpenMoko (Neo)

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at
Tue Oct 23 21:57:27 CEST 2007

On 10/23/07, Gerald A <geraldablists at> wrote:
> Link to story:
> I'm actually sad to hear this. While it's great to have a number of
> options running on the Neo, it would be nice to have OpenMoko run on a
> variety of devices, but the greenphone won't be in the running.

Everyone from the international media reporting on this seems to have
missed a few key points:
1) The Greenphone is a development platform / tool. It was never
intended as a phone / end
    user device. Don't believe me? Check the old press releases from Trolltech.
2) Trolltech only produced 1000 Greenphones, as they said from the
start that they would do.
    They have now sold all units, which is a good thing.
3) Trolltech will still support the Greenphones that are out there.
For more, see the Trolltech press release:

BTW, I am not associated with Trolltech in any way, but I considered
the Greenphone before  settling on the Neo1973.
Torfinn Ingolfsen