Homebrew Open Phone

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 08:19:49 CET 2007

On 22/10/2007, Ian Darwin <ian at darwinsys.com> wrote:
> Doug Sutherland wrote:
> > Compulab does have, and has always had, very interesting
> > embedded boards. But before you get excited about this one
>
> The quantity 1 prices are 2.5x the listed prices which are for quantity
> 1000. Add in a GPS, GSM (not included in base), enough memory to be
> usable, and you'll be paying about US$600 for it. Plus $100 for shipping
> to North America.
>
> So unless somebody has the cash to buy 500 or 1000 of these, it's not
> going to be a DIY project anytime soon.

does anyone know the word on openness of their hardware? i.e. are the
modules they supply in binary form, or as code? the hardware looks
fantastic and i've spent a while studying the specs, but if there's no
open code, i'll stick with openmoko/neo1973

if they were open, i'm sure - having seen the interest for this
project - we could come up with some sort of collective agreement for
bulk-purchasing the hardware. sometime in the past i've seen a website
that organises this sort of thing for buying TVs and music systems on
the cheap. anyone?