Homebrew Open Phone

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Mon Oct 29 09:29:51 CET 2007

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

>> Open hardware means availability of schematics and gerbers,
> Are they available for the Neo?

No, Neo is not open hardware either.
Even if it was it would not be easy to produce.
I have a reflow oven and could do it, but I think
it would end up costing just as much as buying one.

> Really open hardware would be if you get all the files to produce
> your own silicon :-)

Yeah, and the interesting thing about ARM is that is does start that way.
ARM is a fabless company, they only sell intellectual property.
Licensees actually buy the "source code" to the hardware.

http://www.arm.com/products/physicalip/product_overview.html

If you want to make your own silicon ...grab this source hehe
http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/core_arm/overview

Doug Sutherland
Proficio Research
http://www.proficio.ca/