SMedia 3362

Ian Stirling OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com
Sat Sep 1 17:07:05 CEST 2007

Shawn Rutledge wrote:
> Is there any technical info available about this chip?
>
> Is there an X driver for it, or one in progress?

There is as I understand it at the moment only a dumb driver for it,
using it as a framebuffer.

Unfortunately, documents are only available under NDA.

This means that only FIC can write the drivers.

It also means that they will be unlikely to be able to implement
all the functions in the chip for at least several months after October,
barring large increases in team size.
It's also nearly impossible to reverse engineer functions missing in the
driver into it.
Simply as you don't have docs on what it should be able to do, register
info, ...

Still, in principle, they could make a driver which exploits all of the
functionality of the accellerator.

Things are worse (as I understand it) for potential upgrades to better
devices.
Some of them support DSPs, which are basically of sharply limited use if
FIC are the only ones that can code modules for the DSP.