SMedia 3362

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Sat Sep 1 18:11:18 CEST 2007

la, 2007-09-01 kello 16:31 +0100, Giles Jones kirjoitti:
> On 1 Sep 2007, at 16:07, Ian Stirling wrote:
> > Unfortunately, documents are only available under NDA.
> >
> > This means that only FIC can write the drivers.
>
> Seems like an odd choice of unit then for an open source phone.

You're implying there are better choices...

With chip manufacturers being jealous of every bit of information on how
to actually use their chips, we're unfortunately lucky that the OpenMoko
guys at least are allowed to write free drivers themselves after
(presumably) signing the NDA to get the specs.

This is not really new for the Neo either; never mind GTA01's GPS chip,
even the LCD screen doesn't have free docs. Signs of the times...

--
Mikko Rauhala   - mjr at iki.fi     - <URL:http://www.iki.fi/mjr/>
Transhumanist   - WTA member     - <URL:http://www.transhumanism.org/>