Apple is going to beat all competitors

jjh at megalomanic.net jjh at megalomanic.net
Fri Sep 7 22:51:42 CEST 2007

IMHO...

I've been following the Neo1973 for months now, lurking, and tend to
disagree with just about all comparisons I've read w/ the iPhone.  When
someone references the iPhone I think "iPhone, I could care less".

I think it's great that the Neo1973 is now getting some exposure, but I
think it's a mistake to compare it to any other phone, iPhone or otherwise.
 At least from how I've been following it, it's not being designed to be
the phone for the average cell phone user.  It's a phone for the geek, the
hacker, the coder.  It's a phone to challenge all other phones.  The neo to
me is more of a revolution than an iPhone killer or even competitor.  If
the neo reaches even mediocre success I see big changes in the world of
cell phones...

The iPhone killer, competitor, or comparisons you have been describing - to
me - should not be done against the neo.  The iPhone killer will be a later
model OpenMoko phone brought out after much custom development and
innovative ideas are done against the Neo1973.  The basic production
Neo1973 is what will begin the end of the iPhone - and all other phones -
but it is not going to be released as "the one" (pun!) ready to do it.  It
will take some time and community innovation for the neo to be a "killer
phone".

It may even be a second or third model OpenMoko phone before it is the
phone to end all phones.  It's starting out strong w/ wifi, gps,
accelerometers, and other features but how much more dream hardware could
be crammed into it? Just imagine...

I can't wait for a neo so I can begin writing my own apps against all the
open hardware.  I don't care if it not sexy in certain ways.  It's the
beginning of a dream phone - a phone that you can hack up in any way you
want.