Yet another keypad idea

OJW openmoko at blibbleblobble.co.uk
Sat Sep 8 15:47:15 CEST 2007

On Saturday 08 September 2007 14:17, Giles Jones wrote:
> I don't see how pressing three keys for one letter is faster than
> predictive?

As a contrived example, try typing "http://example.com/~user" using predictive
text

(obviously some other method would be default for emails and memos and
anything else that's mostly dictionary-words)

On my phone, the ":" character is "options, insert options, insert symbol,
down, right, right, right, right, use", i.e. 9 or 17 keypresses instead of 2.

Remember that browser URL bars, and Bash (to name two apps) already support
their own autocomplete.  A predictive-text keyboard would need to integrate
with the browser history, or the bash-history to get good matches, rather
than using the facilities which are already there.  If you're SSH on another
machine, or entering text into a AJAX-autocompleting webpage, then the
keyboard program may not even have access to the relevant dictionary.