Video decoding in GTA-02

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Sun Sep 9 03:12:27 CEST 2007

On Sep 8, 2007, at 11:22 AM, Ian Stirling wrote:
> It's not _quite_ that bad.
> You get >> 1 hour, even playing h.263 very loudly while on a phone
> call.

That's cool for demo purposes.   Unfortunately H.263 is really only
of interest to people with patience - the average end-user will
consider H.263 support to be equivalent to no video support, since
there's no media available in that format, and e.g. Handbrake doesn't
support it.   H.263 requires a bit less CPU for playback than H.264,
but unfortunately requires more bits for the same quality, which I
think is why it's been almost completely replaced by H.264.

I don't mean to make this out to be a crisis, but in order to sell in
quantity to non-geeks, the phone will have to support H.264, or else
we'll need something like Handbrake that supports H.263.   If it had
H.264 support in hardware with that screen, it would be *really* sweet!