Apple is going to beat all competitors

Ian Stirling OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com
Sun Sep 9 12:44:34 CEST 2007

Steve wrote:
> ian douglas wrote:
>
>>Andreas Utterberg wrote:
>>
>>>Better to get it out now with more bugs, then later with less bugs.
>>
>>I disagree: having *any* noticeable bugs in a release product will bring
>>a lot of criticism. Having "more bugs" just to get a release out the
>>door will generate a lot of bad press about the efforts put in by
>>everyone on the team, and will discourage a lot of people from trying
>>the Neo.
>
> [...]
>
> This is a good point.  Let me make a suggestion, don't delay the October
> hardware, but don't call it GTA02 either.  That has already been

As I understand it (from comments by those that know) on IRC, there will
be no October hardware.
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Neo1973 has some timeline estimates based
on that information.
The decision on the version of GTA02v2 to go forward into GTA02v3 had
not been frozen, as of a weekish ago.

I've made some basic assumptions, and come up with December as pretty
much a minimum time for developers to be able to purchase it.

# Sep 20 - GTA02v3 design finalised.
# Oct 20 - GTA02v3 design produced, and shipped to qualified developers.
# Nov 20 - GTA02v3 design verified through testing by developers.
# Dec 10 - GTA02v3 produced in moderate volume
# Dec 20 - GTA02v3 goes on sale
# Dec 25 - GTA02v3 arrives.

I really don't see much slack in that schedule - based on past performance.

And of course, this relies on GTA02v3 not having show-stopper bugs.