AT&T is cruising for a bruising

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at
Mon Sep 10 12:14:02 CEST 2007

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:03:05 +0200, Raphaël Jacquot <sxpert at>

> The problem was that their three Iphones were racking up a bill for data
> charges using foreign phone charges. The Iphone regularly updates
> e-mail, even while it's off, so that all the messages will be available
> when the user turns it on.

This not because Apple or AT&T are evil. It's actually a bug (or call it a
design shortcoming) and could happen to anyone. OpenMoko should probably
include some system-wide network access management that avoids huge
roaming bills. Applications will normally assume that if they CAN
establish a TCP connection, then it's OK to do so, and it's better to
allow them think this way rather than have every application care about
possible roaming. Otherwise one of the application developers will forget
about it once, and we'll have a problem like Jay Levy's.

Alexey Feldgendler <alexey at>
[ICQ: 115226275]