Neo Base/Advanced

pHilipp Zabel philipp.zabel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 08:06:19 CEST 2007

On 9/11/07, wolfgang_a_h at gmx.at <wolfgang_a_h at gmx.at> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> as I'm waiting impatiently for GTA02 to come out, I'm faced with the decision wether to get the "Base" or the "Advanced" version.
>
> My question is: What exactly are the things that can only be done with the help of the development board?
> The additional goodies (2nd battery etc) aside, do I *need* the advanced version anyway to tweak the device and/or develop my own apps for the Neo?
>
> I'm asking also for practical reasons - the advanced version is not only more expensive, but moreover likely to be considerably heavier and larger (mostly due to the box), which will without doubt drive up shipping costs to Europe to noticeable ;o) levels. But if I'll only get all the functionality that I desire by buying the advanced version, I'll gladly shell out the additional costs for the development hardware and the more expensive shipping.
>
> I'd be grateful if anybody could shed some light on this - I browsed around inside the list archives but did not find any information on that. Should there be some related post(s) already, just point me in the right direction (BTW, is there any possibility to directly full-text-search the archives? I didn't see any...)
>
> Keep up the good community spirit everybody
> cheers

It's been said that if you have to ask what you need the debug board
for, you most probably won't need it at all.
It mainly gives you a serial console on the GTA02, which is a
nice-to-have for low level (bootloader, kernel) work and JTAG, which
you need if you have busted the bootloader (be it by hacking or it or
entering "nand erase" on the console).
For application development you'll be just fine with a ssh link and gdb.
Personally, I'm happy without the debug board, knowing there are
people owning it in the same city that could help if I really screw up
my flash.

cheers
Philipp