The problem with touch screens

Ben Burdette bburdette at comcast.net
Tue Sep 11 21:29:05 CEST 2007

Giles Jones wrote:

> On 11 Sep 2007, at 18:11, Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
>

>> I once tried a mouse with tactile feedback (built-in vibrator). I
>> could actually feel the buttons I hovered the cursor over as being
>> embossed; it felt like moving the mouse over a non-flat relief rather
>> than simply vibration.
>
> The Wii remote does it on the Wii menus, but it causes aches after a
> while so I turned it off.

In the wii GUI the controller will vibrate briefly when the cursor moves
into a clickable area, so the user knows they can now click the button.
With a touchscreen though, when the user taps in the clickable area, the
click has already happened.  There's no need to alert the user that they
are in a clickable area.  It might be good to alert the user that there
was a click though.  As you say, it should be something you can turn off.