p2p/mesh cellphone network

Giles Jones giles.jones at zen.co.uk
Tue Sep 11 23:43:44 CEST 2007

On 11 Sep 2007, at 22:23, Shawn Rutledge wrote:

> On 9/11/07, Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> didn't we discuss this a few weeks ago?

> I'm wondering what they had to do to the radio to make it possible, or
> if it is at all with GSM.  Sounds like maybe they used something
> different.
>
> Of course this phone could do it with WiFi or Bluetooth, purely in
> software.

It could, but as discussed previously, there's all sorts of
drawbacks. Drop outs, power usage etc..

With custom technology you can improve on that. It's not a technology
that can be depended on like cell networks as it relies on a chain of
people being between you and the destination.

Some technology info here:

http://www.terranet.se/index.php?
option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=8&id=17&Itemid=62