[Data & Calls] over [Wifi & Mesh network]

Francesco Pistillo pistillofrancesco at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 23:02:00 CEST 2007

>> 1)to offer sms  and/or phone call services not just by GSM network, but
>> with WIFI,bluethoot, and so on, in transparent way from the end user
>> point of view.
>> We mean: when a person want to make a call, our program should choose
>> which is the faster and cheaper way to route the call (WIFI, gsm).
>> This idea is based on walkie talkie idea in wish list.

>For me this is the one that I believe would help put an openmoko based
>phone ahead of the pack.

>digger

Hi, i'm a member of "University of Bari" team (Vittoria Cozza). Is
interesting to combine 1) with 4) mobile MESH to create a
decentralized network.
After some research on internet, i found a private company that start
this project.

Here is an extract about main idea:

"..........works using handsets adapted to work as peers that can
route data or calls for other phones in the network. The handsets also
serve as nodes between other handsets, extending the reach of the
entire system. Each handset has an effective range of about one
kilometre.
This collaborative routing of calls means there is no cost to talk
between handsets......"
"............When a phone is switched on, it begins to look for other
phones within range. If it finds them, it starts to connect and extend
the radio network......."
".......When a number is dialled a handset checks to see if the person
being called is within range. If they are, the call goes through....."

is it a great idea? according to openmoko community we can start this project!