Plea to developers: Make data for all applications available to scripting languages

Jim McDonald Jim at devzero.net
Sun Sep 16 11:04:13 CEST 2007

Giles Jones wrote:

> On 15 Sep 2007, at 22:53, J F wrote:
>

>> What I would like to see is ALL programs having a way of getting at
>> their
>> data from a scripting language. I don't know if it makes sense to
>> have some
>> guidelines for developers to make it easier for this information to
>> be got
>> at. This would be for someone more competent than me to suggest.
>>

> Quite simply, if long term storage utilises and embedded database then
> so long as the scripting language can access it then it will be fine.
Only if the database supports concurrent access by multiple processes,
which most don't.  You'd be better off supporting a single standard API
to obtain the obvious data such as contacts/calendar/todos (EDS being
the one that I believe that the developers have settled on).

Which leads to a question: is there some way to extend the information
held for each EDS entity so that calendar entries contacts and the like
can have additional (arbitrary) fields?

Cheers,
Jim.