Qtopia coming for Neo1973

thomas.cooksey at bt.com thomas.cooksey at bt.com
Tue Sep 18 17:34:29 CEST 2007

>In short: Qtopia is going to be fully GPL'd (telephony applications
>included, which weren't) and is being ported to Neo1973.

Fantastic news! What works? Looking at the youtube videos, it appears that the phone, SMS, bluetooth & power management are all working? Can you actually place and recieve calls?

I'm sure OpenMoko development will continue, but a good question is why? I don't really want to start a flame war, but I do think the question should raised. Why spend so much effort creating yet another GTK+ based framework? What would happen if all the people working on OpenMoko focused their efforts on improving Qtopia on the neo instead? Surely we'd get a fast, stable and functional phone stack a lot quicker?

Cheers,

Tom