opensource aerial photography project (was Re: OM Camera - a new angle)

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 00:33:56 CEST 2007

On 19/09/2007, OJW <openmoko at blibbleblobble.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 September 2007 19:12, Ian Stirling wrote:
> > It must have wi-max, and be able to fly up to several kilometers, to
> > take pictures for use with the OM mapping system.
>
> Need to integrate with these guys...
>
> http://diydrones.com/
>
> [phone with GPS and camera being used to fly a model aircraft, and send
> georeferenced photos back over the network]

interesting stuff

this has got me thinking - openstreetmap is progressing as a nice
alternative to google maps and so on, but is there an open-source
equivalent for the photography part of google maps/earth? something
working in a similar way to osm, using photos taken by anybody, with a
UAV or any airborne vehicle, and licensed under GNU FDL? this sort of
technology is getting cheaper and cheaper, it's well within the price
range of common people now