Qtopia coming for Neo1973

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller uraeus at linuxrising.org
Wed Sep 19 14:54:51 CEST 2007

Calls for more collaboration are quite common, but I can't help but feel
that people assume it is easier than it actually is. There is the GMAE
effort which tries do achieve exactly what is mentioned here, which is
further codesharing between all these efforts.

Whats holding up collaboration is rarely ever ill will or lack of seeing
how collaboration is useful. I mean these people choose existing open
source technologies just because they could see such benefits. But in
reality a lot of issues makes it a slow process, like internal time
constraints, disputes about code quality, licensing challenges,
disagreement about technology choices and so on.

For instance I wouldn't be surprised if OpenMoko face the challenge of
needing most of their components to be LGPL/BSD licensed instead of GPL,
which puts a lot of code out of their reach. Cause even if the OpenMoko
phones will be shipping with all free software there might be further
stuff getting integrated downstream for which a demand for GPL licensing
would be unacceptable. Like Vodafone or some other network operator
putting some branded special software on phones distributed through them
as one example.

Another good example is that a 'competing' project might have a piece of
code which supposedly do what you need, but your engineers when looking
at it decides that its coded in a shoddy fashion and thus will risk
getting your project bogged down in trying to bugfix it. Or the code is
Java based and your platform doesn't ship with Java etc.

So please be aware that 'duplication' of effort isn't just because
people are stupid or selfcentered, its often happens due slightly
different needs or things which can't be easily publicized.

So as someone who have been to multiple GMAE meetings I know that people
like OpenMoko, Maemo, Sato, Hiker and so on are trying to increase code
sharing, but it does take time.

Christian