Qtopia coming for Neo1973

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Wed Sep 19 16:03:51 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 14:03 +0100, thomas.cooksey at bt.com wrote:
[...]
> This is something someone else touched on. If you're writing an
> application, abstract all the complicated stuff away from the UI code,
> then you can make whatever kind of UI you want. NetworkManager I think
> is a perfect example of this. It would be good to have a defined
> interface to access PIM info, make calls etc. I believe LiPS has been
> set up to do just that. So perhaps it would be better to make moth
> OpenMoko & Qtopia PE LiPS complient. I heard that the LiPS forum hired
> a load of GPE PE developers to develop a reference implementation. It
> might be worth looking at GPE PE and lifting some of the standardised
> bits. I don't know, perhaps this is happening already?

With regards to the contacts and calendar applications in OpenMoko, they
use Evolution Data Server to store their data, in the same way Evolution
does on the desktop. In turn, this stores the data in the vCard and iCal
formats, which are industry standard.

> One more thing on duplication of effort... It's nice to see OpenHand
> developers working on OpenMoko, are there any plans to merge Sato into
> OpenMoko? There's currently 4 GTK+ mobile phone frameworks I know of
> (GPE PE, Sato, OpenMoko & Hiker). Surely no one can claim that much
> duplicated effort is a good thing? I can see the argument for
> KDE/Gnome, GTK+/QT, but not 4 projects all relying on the same
> technology all doing exactly the same thing.

Firstly, Sato is not a mobile phone framework in any sense at all. It
does not include any applications or services that would make a mobile
phone useful. Sato is simply a visual style.

Secondly, the OpenMoko framework is different from projects such as
Hiker because it only contains functions and classes that actually give
benefit to the user and developer, rather than wrapping existing
technologies for the sake of it. This means OpenMoko contains much less
overhead than other frameworks and allows developers greater
flexibility.

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/