Qtopia coming for Neo1973

thomas.cooksey at bt.com thomas.cooksey at bt.com
Wed Sep 19 23:06:08 CEST 2007

>X provides an OpenGL API.   So if you want to do fancy stuff like
>Compiz, you do it with OpenGL.

X does not however provide an OpenGL ES API, neither does GDK. Qtopia on the other hand does allow OpenGL ES integration. In fact Beryl/Compiz-type effects and composition is already avaliable on Qtopia (acording to their documentation - no screen shots). To do that on KDrive you'd have to implement the XComposite extension and write a complete compositing manager which knows how to speak OpenGL ES. A massive task.

I suspect this is a moot point anyway as I doubt we'll ever see an OpenGL ES library/driver for the SMedia. I really hope I'm wrong about this as the visual effects which could be achieved would be amazing, way better than the iPhone.