Help Request for our Webshop

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Sun Sep 23 15:51:13 CEST 2007

Am 23.09.2007 um 10:21 schrieb Krzysztof Kajkowski:

> 2007/9/23, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at computer.org>:
>>
>> The "standard" Open Source Web Shop is OSCommerce (http://
>> www.oscommerce.com/).
>>
>> The only requirements it does not solve are
>> * it is witten in PHP
>> * it has its own database model
>
> Hi! Recently I'm running a one-person project on oscommerce and the
> deeper I get inside the code the more I see what a piece of ugly
> written software this is... Each file is a  mixture  of HTML, PHP and
> even SQL. There are no templates, no MVC nor other model, code is
> buggy, unmaintened and uses PHP classes like tables. It's a software
> that stuck in time five years ago... I would never do anything in
> oscommerce again.

I guess that is the reason why Sean asked for something new
preferably without PHP.
In PHP it is much easier to mix everything than to use a clear MVC
concept (although
someone could argue that a single PHP script contains all M=MySQL,
V=HTML, C=PHP)...

Let's hope they find a solution that is better and does not draw too
much from the
development budget and time they have. Developing something new from
scratch would
IMHO also be a waste of resources and does not guarantee that it is
finished within
a reasonable timeframe (e.g. October where we all await new devices
to ship :-).