Help Request for our Webshop

AVee openmoko-comunity at avee.org
Mon Sep 24 15:06:57 CEST 2007

On Sunday 23 September 2007 18:47, Sean Moss-Pultz wrote:
> On 9/23/07 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > > And your requirements may really be complex enough that the
> >
> > pre-built OSS stack isn't viable.  In that case, I would take a
> > closer look at the requirements and see if you can drop any for
> > release 1.
> >
> > > Build when all else fails (unless it is your core competency, like
> >
> > say.... a linux phone distribution :P )
> >

> > I 100% agree on that...
> >
> > The "standard" Open Source Web Shop is OSCommerce
> > (http://www.oscommerce.com/).
>
> No offense at all to those guys, but this didn't meet our needs. We've
> already spend over two months trying to rework that and figured that
> writing something from scratch would be easier in the long run.

I've done work on OSCommerce once, and I've got just one advice for anybody
having to work on that code. Run and hide!

> We really have an _extremely_ complex global logistics model that needs
> to be implemented.
>
> FIC has distribution hubs all around the world. They just do business to
> business transactions now. So we need to develop something that can ship
> direct to our customers (and retailers and even factories) from those hubs.

Is it a Webshop you are looking for or do you actually need an ERP/Supply
Chain solution? I've never really looked into these (it's on my very long
list of 'things to check out') , but there is Compiere, Adempiere, Tiny ERP,
Apache OFBiz, OpenMFG... I honestly don't know if any of these are mature and
robust enough to support your logistics, but i might be easier to start from
there and add a webshop (if it isn't there allready).

Also, how are the current b2b transactions handled, its not alway impossible
to insert consumer orders into b2b systems and it might just be the way to
get this working with minimal impact.

AVee

--
Write a paper promising salvation, make it a 'structured' something or a
'virtual' something, or 'abstract', 'distributed' or 'higher-order' or