Qtopia coming for Neo1973

Steven Le Roux steven at le-roux.info
Tue Sep 25 14:23:24 CEST 2007

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:32:46 +0200, "Dani Anon" <mrtitor at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/25/07, Lorn Potter <lpotter at trolltech.com> wrote:
>>

>> Carlo E. Prelz wrote:
>> >       Subject: Re: Qtopia coming for Neo1973
>> >       Date: mar 25 set 07 08:18:31 +0200
>> >
>> > Quoting Dani Anon (mrtitor at gmail.com):

>> > This is not the only reason why Qtopia is sub-optimal.
>>
>> It's not a reason at all. Neo is a "free" phone! If I wanted commercial
>> applications, I could easily use any other phone out there. The reason
>> why we are all here, is because the Neo is 'free software'. Would the
>> Neo interest you as much if it wasn't as 'free'?
>
> Tell that to all the people using Wine under Linux.

I Don't think there are so much...  I fully agree with him to say Neo/OpenMoko goal is to become a *FREE* user friendly phone. Even if Qtopia could give bigger range, or bigger "celebrity", it will not change the OpenMoko/OpenEmbedded mission, to provide a free framework/os

>> They haven't progressed that much in the last 6 years. Slower cpu uses
>> less power.
>
> strongly agree with all these points. With mobile devices, direct
> access to the hardware is everything because it might mean an extra
> hour of battery. the main problem right now is I'm not sure about the
> future of openmoko if they keep using X. When I learnt openmoko was
> using an X server it surprised me a lot, its a very weird decision.
> Most of Linux powered extramobile devices that I know of (please
> correct me if I'm wrong) have some kind of framebuffer environment in
> which you can directly draw stuff on screen with little overhead.
>
> Dani

Ok, I am not a developper, but, I think the accelorometer has the goal to provide a good video rendering.
If you see forward, the hardware will be improved, and I think there will be some "eyeglasses" effect or any "eye candy" things that won't not be possible with frame buffer...

--
Steven Le Roux
steven at le-roux.info
xmpp:steven at jabber.fr