Unified PIM

Joshua Layne joshua at willowisp.net
Wed Sep 26 20:13:10 CEST 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:49:43 +0100, <thomas.cooksey at bt.com> wrote:

>>I guess my only comment is that while I don't really care which
>>interface people use on their phones, it seems like the data interfaces
>>should be the same... If I open up qtopia phone edition and look at my
>>contacts or maybe even edit them and then close it down and open up my
>>OM interface and look at them, they should be the same.  All edit are
>>visible.. No double entry.
>
> Agreed, but I'd take it one step further. Given the neo has an internet
> connection, why can't PIM data be stored on a web server and just cached
> locally. Couldn't you then integrate that into desktop PIM applications
> too?

I would prefer to not have a network dependency on PIM data.  It might be a
nice extra feature, but I would like to see the core data held on the phone
supported by the different front-ends.  I may want to switch frontends
without resyncing all my data.

It seems like LiPS might be a good start for this shared architecture.

In the event of a "non-compliant" implementation, perhaps
wrapper/abstraction scripts could be built to make it transparent to the
end user?

Regards,
j.