Qtopia coming for Neo1973

ian douglas id at w98.us
Wed Sep 26 23:24:20 CEST 2007

Jonathon Suggs wrote:
> Tim Newsom wrote:
>> the data interfaces should be the same... If I open up qtopia phone
 >> edition and look at my contacts or maybe even edit them and then
 >> close it down and open up my OM interface and look at them, they
 >> should be the same. All edit are visible.. No double entry.
>
> I don't know the answer to what he is asking, so if someone does,
 > please speak.

It was asked maybe a month about having some sort of 'standard' for data
storage, although I'm not sure that any of us knew about the Qtopia port
at that time. I think it would be good to revisit that thread and
discuss data storage, because I agree as well -- a standard way of
storing data so it's 100% accessible and identical on multiple platforms
will make it so much more enticing. Like someone else said about OSS in
general, there are so many choices, no one way is the "right" ("only")
way, but some will prefer one method over another.

As an example, I use my /home/ partition in multiple versions of Linux
on my workstation, so having a /.thunderbird/ folder be 100% accessible
no matter which OS I'm booted into is vital -- I need to have the same
Email access in every OS I boot into while I work.

Someone else had mentioned sync'ing the Neo data with some online
service so the data would be available everywhere, which isn't a bad
idea either, but synchronization issues come into play when you have a
locally-cached copy on the phone, detecting deltas, etc.

Just my $0.02.

-id