Apple's heavy hand an opportunity for Linuxsmartphones likeOpenMoko

alan at rotorgraphics.com alan at rotorgraphics.com
Sat Sep 29 02:48:37 CEST 2007

>>The neo's screen is already bigger- it has more pixels.
No.  The dimensions of the Neo's screen are smaller at 2.5" diag versus 3.5
diag. for the iPhone.  Yes, the VGA resolution is impressive and superior
to the iPhone, but for a touch screen interface, you must maximize the
screen size to device plan form ratio so you can make touch screen
keyboarding work without annoying the user with constant finger-tip typos.
Use an iPhone and you'll see that the "inferior" resolution is not a
problem.

>>In any case, the neo isn't about schnazz, it's about freedom.  Kind of
>>like PC hardware vs mac hardware.  PC hardware is open and awesome- you
>>can pick from 500 different motherboards, gfx cards, vendors, etc.,
>>unlike the apple-only mac, but pc hardware isn't as schnazzy looking as
>>macs.
This is not about style.  This is about optimum human/device interaction
form factors. It is the size and shape and layout of the iPhone that
strongly influences the usability of the device.  And...And...Who says you
can't want style --AND-- freedom?

>>IMO the neo isn't and should be trying to be schnazzy, I think you're
>>wrong about matching up to the iphone's look.

Once again...Form factor is the point here.  Not Styling.  Trim it
different, use day-glo plastics! I don't care. Just make sure it is about
the same dimensions, predominately rectangular, and has a flush glass
screen.

>>Although I do hope the neo comes in colors, that would be appropriate to
>>the freedom thing.

The first thing I bought as an iPhone accessory was a pack of six Silicone
iPhone jackets, all in different colors.  My wife grabbed the Girly Pink
one, and I took the manly black one!

Alan