choosing a standard

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Tue Apr 1 17:29:51 CEST 2008

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen wrote:

> My plan is to connect the divices to a micro controller, a multiplexer
> and then to a linksys wireless router (flashed) over rs232 or usb. A
> normal computer could of course also be used.

Sun had Jini, which was then a bit to early and now nearly forgotten.

UPNP has some aspects of remote control in a semantically abstract way.
But UPNP is way too complex to be cool. :(
Looks to me completely over designed and arbitrary.

I hoped to see someting to come out of the bluetooth corner. But have
not seen anything interesting there yet.
And all that house automation and telemetry crap (like CANOpen) i have
seen looks to mee like it would be not abstract enough to be fun at all.

Never heard of that XPL thing, but sounds really nice. :)

Regards
  Tilman