Car charger to GTA02

Philippe Guillebert phyce at rez-gif.supelec.fr
Wed Apr 2 08:58:33 CEST 2008

Alexander Frøyseth wrote:
> It have to be mod sinse a pc usb uses 5V and a car 12V

Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the voltage adaptation is the purpose of
the car USB adapter. With a normal cable, I understood that it would
charge at 100mA (default USB "polite" current draw). Since these
chargers are dumb (do not "talk" USB) openmoko will not draw more
current, and the charging will be slow.

If you want fast charge (1A) you can either :
- Use the special cable that have the resistor, that provides GTA0x a
way to recognize the charger
- Use the applet somebody wrote to force fast charge mode by software.

Be careful, drawing 1A out of USB can destroy the charger if it is not
supported !

Hope I'm not saying too much nonsense, and by the way, this is my first
mail on this list :) Hello world !

--
Phyce