A few questions on the GSOC

Steven Hicks shicks3 at elon.edu
Fri Apr 4 00:48:56 CEST 2008

I noticed that you guys were participating in the Google Summer of Code. I
also noticed a project that interests me:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wishlist:Software:Ambient_Noise_Detection
I find this interesting because:
1. I want a feature like this
2. It deals with intelligent decision making based on its "optimal
environment" (i'm still unsure about the effectiveness of the phone in a
pocket)

The questions I have for this project are:
1. Must the final result work on the phone? In other words can I build the
software on the PC and have it working on the PC with say Mono/Java?
2. Is there a programming language restriction?
3. What is required to deem the project complete?
4. Am I eligible to work on this project with another summer job?
5. If a working copy on the phone is required will I be given an OpenMoko
phone to make sure this works (if so will this be for borrow or to keep)?
5.5 Will I be provided with a prepaid SIM? (I'm American so that would be
either AT&T or TMobile)

Little bit about me: I am currently an undergraduate Uni student at Elon. I
will be graduating in May and be attending UNC-Charlotte for Computer Vision
in Intelligence (ms/PhD).

-Steven