A few questions on the GSOC

Joseph Jon Booker joe at neoturbine.net
Fri Apr 4 05:25:17 CEST 2008

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 18:48:56 -0400
Steven Hicks <shicks3 at elon.edu> wrote:
> The questions I have for this project are:
> 1. Must the final result work on the phone? In other words can I
> build the software on the PC and have it working on the PC with say
> Mono/Java? 2. Is there a programming language restriction?

It is merely the mentor organization's choice, some of the projects have
taken on things completely unrelated to them just since they were so
impressed.

> 3. What is required to deem the project complete?
http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html#0.1_evaluations <
the evaluations determine if you get paid is the closest to what you're
thinking of, after all, good projects never complete ;)

> 5. If a working copy on the phone is required will I be given an
> OpenMoko phone to make sure this works (if so will this be for borrow
> or to keep)? 5.5 Will I be provided with a prepaid SIM? (I'm American
> so that would be either AT&T or TMobile)

It's been said before on the list you will be provided with a
freerunner, even if it's a prototype. I don't recall any discussion
about providing you with cellphone service, and you really don't need
to do that for the noise detection project

> Little bit about me: I am currently an undergraduate Uni student at
> Elon. I will be graduating in May and be attending UNC-Charlotte for
> Computer Vision in Intelligence (ms/PhD).

Cool, a friend of mine is one of the business fellows at elon, I just
found your guys' secondlife island the other day too, good luck with SoC

--
Joseph Jon Booker