Loosing your moko

"Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" mail at 3v1n0.net
Fri Apr 4 16:30:43 CEST 2008

Michele Renda ha scritto:
> When I steal the phone, the first thing that I will do is to turn off
> the phone. Then because I am afraid to be detected by cell I will change
> the internal sim, before to turn on it.

Well, this is true but sending data on next power-on could help.
BTW, here we're talking about stealing; this is an important issue, but
thread talked generally about "loosing", so I think that we should first
implement "non-paranoia" features that simply you could use when you
can't find your phone but it's alive and "ringing" (reachable via GPS at
least).
I think (hope) it will be more used than an anti-theft feature.

About data securyt... I've already mentioned, but isn't there a way to
use an encrypted filesystem by default on Openmoko? Actually they
perform like the standard filesystems [1], but they would give us more
security if someone has taken our phone and he wants to access to our
data. Another gain of using a such thing would be that we don't need to
create a security feature for each used application.
Of course, I guess there's a bad thing: if you have an already running
phone you can't block the user to access to some data (am I right, isn't
it?).

[1] http://tinyurl.com/657wmo

--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux