Openmoko strives for openness (smedia glamo)

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 19:25:29 CEST 2008

On 4/3/08, Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at openmoko.com> wrote:
> Dear Hervé,
> here is my perspective:
> Most chip vendors see their business in selling chips. Documentation is just
> a necessary evil to them, they are trying to get away with the minimum
> amount of documentation that will still sell the chip.
> Unless in very few cases, chip vendors do not see good documentation as a
> strategic asset that will help sell their chips. Maybe down the road we are
> lucky and Intel becomes a vendor that sees documentation like this, but I
> will believe it when I see it. NXP also came around to us in a very nice
> way.
> We would like to publish documentation for the Toshiba ASIC in our LCM, very
> hard with Toshiba (I'm not complaining, it's a big company and we are a
> minuscule customer).
> Samsung seems to be going closed, even though they joined the Open Handset
> Alliance and are a big supporter of Android!
>
> Why that? Well, let's think from their perspective: Again - they are selling
> chips, not books or PDF files.
> In the case of Samsung, the legal department may look at a given PDF file
> (say 1000 pages long) and see LOTS OF RISKS! When their lawyers read this
> document (and they won't understand most of the technical stuff in there),
> they are very concerned that the document will provide grounds for lawsuits
> against Samsung later on.
> If they just sell the chips as-is, those risks are reduced.
> Plus they will say "why do we have to release THIS particular PDF?" Why not
> a much shorter version, say a 2-page high-level overview, which the legal
> department can carefully check word-by-word before release? And if it has to
> be this specific PDF, why not release even much more? Samsung certainly has
> another 100,000 pages documentation for each chip, internally.
>
> If you think about it from their perspective documentation is a very random
> thing. You cannot easily convince them that if they release a 1000-page PDF
> file about the say 6400 chip, they will sell this many more chips compared
> to just releasing a 2-page PDF file.
>
> So we at Openmoko need to be smart, and accept realities out there:
>
> ---1
> The current model: We try to convince vendors to open up documentation to
> the public, ideally allowing us (or even better everyone else) to
> redistribute the documentation. Like Intel is doing with Creative Commons
> now.
>
> ---2
> We can try to 'buy' chips+documentation, make the PDF file part of the
> purchase. We would then put the PDF file behind a click-through license,
> which says that the PDF behind the click-through license is just part of the
> Neo product, and does not guarantee product behavior. The legal
> effectiveness of such a click-through license is debatable, and we would
> still need the vendor to like the idea and agree to give us documents under
> these terms.

> [...]

I really like this idea. I think Openmoko can trust a person hired
from Trolltech, and I also think the chip vendor will. But it is only
one way to figure it out.

--
Please don't send me Word or PowerPoint attachments. See

Join the FSF as an Associate Member at:
<URL:http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=5774>