A few questions on the GSOC

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 19:39:46 CEST 2008

On 4/4/08, Steven Hicks <shicks3 at elon.edu> wrote:

> On Thursday 03 April 2008 11:25:17 pm Joseph Jon Booker wrote:
>
> > > 3. What is required to deem the project complete?
> >
> > http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html#0.1_evaluations <
> > the evaluations determine if you get paid is the closest to what you're
> > thinking of, after all, good projects never complete ;)
>
> What is the expectation for this project? I do not have the time to waste if
> the expectations are beyond what is possible.
>
> > > 5. If a working copy on the phone is required will I be given an
> > > OpenMoko phone to make sure this works (if so will this be for borrow
> > > or to keep)? 5.5 Will I be provided with a prepaid SIM? (I'm American
> > > so that would be either AT&T or TMobile)
> >
> > It's been said before on the list you will be provided with a
> > freerunner, even if it's a prototype. I don't recall any discussion
> > about providing you with cellphone service, and you really don't need
> > to do that for the noise detection project
>
> Out of couriousity what is a freerunner?

To put it simple (and maybe not entirely correct), the upcomming
hardware from Openmoko, GTA02, has been given the name Freerunner.

> I figured that a working sim would be
> nesicary for the final live tests if it is necessary to get it working on the
> mobile for completition.

Don't you know anyone that owns a sim card??? I think it sounds
strange that you need a sim card for this project. If it was a
"seamless switching between VoIP and GSM" type of project, I could
better understand.