Web Browser?

Jose Manrique Lopez de la Fuente jsmanrique at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 12:35:12 CEST 2008

Just some questions...

Does OpenMoko include a web browser?

If yes:
Is it included in wurfl[1] file?
Does it send x-wap-profile header with a link to a rdf describing its
capabilities[2]?

Perhaps this could help to implement a Device Description to help web
servers to send the right content to the device... Read more about
this W3C group[3]

Best regards,

[1] http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://www.developershome.com/wap/detection/detection.asp?page=profileHeader
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W3C_Device_Description_Working_Group

2008/4/7, thomasg <thomas at gstaedtner.net>:
> You really might consider using links -g for that.
> It's blazingly fast (speed is _only_ limitted by the connection!), needs
> nearby no ressources and it can save some traffic by turning pictures off.
> Opera Mini uses a kind of transparent proxy to compress the sites - it would
> be possible to create a own service for that. Some mobile providers offer
> similar services free of charge.
>  A small problem is, that links lacks a touchscreen-friendly UI (however,
> it's still usable with a stylus or fingertip) and allows vertical scrolling
> for some sites.
>
> In my honest opinion a iphone-browser is not the solution - it's a tribute
> to bad webdesign, nothing else. Desktop-like rendering and therefore needed
> zooming is exhausting and is leading rendering to the point auf absurdity.
>  Rendering is used to make things fit - not to make them look the same
> whereever it's used.
>
> On 4/7/08, Erland Lewin <erland at lewin.nu> wrote:
> > Will Opera Mini run on the Freerunner?
> >
> > I asked this before, but didn't get a reply. I assume it depends on
> > how well J2ME works on the Freerunner.
> >
> > IMHO, the Opera Mini design (compressing and optimizing web pages
> > before sending them to the phone) is excellent, because it saves
> > traffic (=money) and speeds up loading.
> >
> > I'm not aware of any open source alternative with the same design.
> >
> > A full-featured web browser is great for full AJAX sites, but I think
> > Opera Mini is sufficient for most web use.
> >

> > /Erland

J. Manrique López de la Fuente
http://www.jsmanrique.es