Web Browser?

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Mon Apr 7 13:15:51 CEST 2008

thomasg wrote:

> In my honest opinion a iphone-browser is not the solution - it's a
> tribute to bad webdesign, nothing else. Desktop-like rendering and
> therefore needed zooming is exhausting and is leading rendering to the
> point auf absurdity.
> Rendering is used to make things fit - not to make them look the same
> whereever it's used.

My opinion is just the opposite. There where many attempts to create
something like a mobile web. And all failed miserably. (wap, imode,
crappy limited browsers)
I think it is time to stop making futile attempts to change the web and
begin to change mobile browsers and how they are used. The iPhone
browser is a good example and by far not the only one.
Since mobile browsers take the web as it is, they suddenly became cool.

There is nothing wrong with optimizing the data stream for mobile usage
(compression, image crappyfication) as long as the page layout stays the
same.
But even this constraint begins to fade away since UMTS. (Ok, not for
the Neo/Feedrunner)

Neo has enough horsepower and pixels to provide a decent web experience.
I have tested the built in browser (with usb net not GPRS) and it works
just fine. Stable layout, wonderful text rendering courtesy of the
extremely high dpi of the screen.
It just needs some usability tweaks. Like scrolling without the scrollbars.
Like Opera does (not opera mini) on the Nokia N770 and successors. Which
are by the way a good example for a really good mobile browsing
experience. They have a larger screen, but not much more pixels than we.

Regards
  Tilman