Web Browser?

thomasg thomas at gstaedtner.net
Mon Apr 7 16:16:08 CEST 2008

I cannot agree.
We're not talking about the tries to create a mobile web, like wap and co.
did.
They had some good ideas, but the concept was useless, because nobody wanted
to have a second, way smaller net.
We're talking about rendering normal webpages to make them fit the devices
screen.
The neo has a damn good screen and a pretty high resolution, but this will
not be enough for all the crappy designed websites out there. Where ever you
go, you'll find sites with "requires minimum 1024x768"... - this means they
expect you to have your browser window at least 1000 pixel wide. The neo can
do 640 in landscape-, 480 in portrait-mode (I bet the last will be used most
of the time), so there is just no chance to browse w/o zooming or scrolling
in 2D (imho both sucks).
The other thing is, that the neo doesn't have enough horsepower like you
said. In fact the neos cpu is so far behind the iphones (and other powerful
arm11 devices) that you won't see a light.
Check it out yourself with openmoko-browser or midori (both gtk-webkit) -
the samsung will run at 100% while rendering and it takes some seconds for
every site - even simple sites like google.com. Not to mention the heavy use
of ram (at least 15 mb without tabs). Running the cpu at 100% means heaving
very high power consumption - also not that good for a mobile device.
If possible try the iphones browser, too. It's far more optimized than the
webkit-browsers we have on openmoko, it's executed on an arm11 with over 500
Mhz (kicks the samsungs ass) and supported by an dedicated powervr graphics
chip. Even this browser needs some time for rendering - and if you zoom and
scroll it will continuously have to reload tiles.
Then check links. It ignores most of the rendering what kills many of the
fancy layouts with many pictures - but it loads every page in less than a
second (as long the network is fast enough) without tile-refreshing and
things like this. If the webmasters did their job fine, you wouldn't even
have to scroll vertically.
There also is no need to zoom, because the textsize is like you want it.
After all, I think different people like different solutions - but I want to
read, not to wait - scroll - wait - scroll - zoom - watch fancy graphics -
zoom again, ...