Unofficial poll: Do you want 3G in the proposed successor, GTA03?

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Mon Apr 7 18:45:18 CEST 2008

On ma, 2008-04-07 at 14:00 +0200, Federico Lorenzi wrote:
> First off, this is by no means official in any way. Vote on [1] if you
> _think_ 3G is essential for a successor to FreeRunner

Interesting choice of words; this discourages everyone who doesn't think
3G is essential from voting, even though the vote itself has other
choices. :]

Personally, for my two cents, for the successor it pretty much is
essential. I will buy at least one if not two Freerunners into my family
(having already one 1973). The GPRS will provide basic connectivity well
enough; having a slow net is infinitely better than none at all.

For the successor to be an attractive enough _upgrade_ to that, it'll
pretty much have to have 3G (UMTS). EDGE, not really worth it, unless
it's somehow a lot sexier in other ways. And there is the thing that
they're already starting to talk about running down the 2G networks here
in Finland... (Sure, it'll be just talk for years, but anyway, for
confidence in longevity and all that jazz.) Oh yeah, in light of what
they're talking about replacing it in rural areas, 900 MHz support for
UMTS would be nice as well ;P

Now, for HSDPA, it isn't really essential (though obviously _nice_).
Basic old-school 384k UMTS would be quite an okay tradeoff.

Anyway, for now, still anxious for the Freerunner. Cheerio.

--
Mikko Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi>
University of Helsinki