Unofficial poll: Do you want 3G in the proposed successor, GTA03?

Brad Midgley bmidgley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 04:55:55 CEST 2008

Guys

It shouldn't be treated like an either-or for wifi and 3g. The phone
should have both. Most other smart phones are doing this. It's amazing
Apple is able to pull off a phone limited to edge cell speeds
successfully. They are unique and probably planned all along to have
their loyal crowd upgrading to the next unit anyway. I don't think
anyone else in the industry has this kind of power over their
customers.

We've seen into a lot of the process in making the gta02 and the
openmoko platform. It's been very revealing. However one thing I don't
think we saw into was making the design tradeoff decisions. When
dropping hsdpa/umts/edge from consideration for the radio, some uses
for the phone had to be ruled out. Someone determined that the cost
and effort of choosing a cell radio with more data features wasn't
worth the uses of the phone that required it.

This tradeoff has to be weighed again for GTA03. A number of us are
just hoping they will determine it is worth the cost and effort to go
with a much faster data option on the cell radio.

Brad