Unofficial poll: Do you want 3G in the proposed successor, GTA03?

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at
Tue Apr 8 19:56:32 CEST 2008

On 4/8/08, Antoine Reid <antoine.reid at> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 10:55 PM, Brad Midgley <bmidgley at> wrote:
> > Guys
> >
> > It shouldn't be treated like an either-or for wifi and 3g. The phone
> > should have both. [...]
> Everyone.
> I have to agree with Brad here.  Wifi has other uses too!
> I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants/needs the Neo/Freerunner to
> connect to some private networks over Wifi.  I don't want to have to go
> through my telco's network and back through my internet connection just to
> reach my network.  Also, doing it that way would mean that I absolutely need
> some sort of VPN solution on top of the communications channel at all
> times.  I don't necessarily want a data plan just to use the device on my
> own network. I *NEED* Wifi.   A bonus would be to switch to a Wifi chipset
> that allows promisc and other similar uses.
> For me, removing Wifi from the device would be a deal breaker.

I cannot agree more. I don't carry my laptop around whereever I go, and all
places I am have free wireless.
I do not need 3g. GPRS will do just fine, if I really need to send an
e-mail. But, of course, 3g would be nice in addition to wifi.
Please don't send me Word or PowerPoint attachments. See

Join the FSF as an Associate Member at: