Toolchain on Ubuntu 7.10

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 08:48:32 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 4:40 AM, Dale Schumacher
<dale.schumacher at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just done a clean install of Ubuntu 7.10 and am trying to follow the
> instructions from the Toolchain wiki page.  When I try the command:
>
> sudo apt-get install gcc g++ autoconf automake binutils libtools ...
>
> I get this error message:
>
> Package autoconf is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
>  is only available from another source
> E: Pacakge autoconf has no installation candidate
>
> Since this is a fresh install, I expect I may not have the right setup to
> install all the developer goodies.  Can someone suggest a clean way to
> resolve this issue?  I would be happy to update the wiki page with better
> instructions once my issue is resolved.

Try this instead:
sudo apt-get install build-essential
or was it
sudo apt-get install build-essentials

You should not need to install gcc, make, etc manually.
build-essential should do it for you
--
Please don't send me Word or PowerPoint attachments. See

Join the FSF as an Associate Member at:
<URL:http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=5774>