Unofficial poll: Do you want 3G in the proposed successor, GTA03?

Rogen, Mario Mario.Rogen at sie.at
Wed Apr 9 13:04:39 CEST 2008

[mailto:community-bounces at lists.openmoko.org] On Behalf Of Hugo Mills
>Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 12:26 PM
>To: List for Openmoko community discussion
>Subject: Re: Unofficial poll: Do you want 3G in the proposed
successor,GTA03?

>On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:28:02PM -0500, Mark Arvidson wrote:
>> I whip out my A780 and browse the net/read e-mail/update remote todo
>> lists/ssh into my home network nearly everywhere I go.  I use my
>> phone's EDGE capabilities while riding across Texas to the next
family
>> event.  I use it to check my personal e-mail during downtimes at work

>> (restrictions against doing that on company computers).  I do the
same
>> while waiting for kids sporting events to start or at the dentist's
>> office.  I pull it out after band practice in the middle of nowhere
>> check my family's Google calendars for potential conflicts.
>>
>> As it is, I don't use Wifi much (of course, I don't have it on my
>> phone yet).  There are very few free places to use it around here,
and
>> their ranges are rather limited.  Traveling at 75 mph down a highway
>> means hotspots come and go in a few seconds, so that's not even a
>> potential problem solver for me.

>   I'm almost precisely the opposite use case. I'm almost always
somewhere with stable wireless access. I don't really care too much
about fast data access over the phone network, but having
>802.11(whatever) in the device is a must for me.
>
>   Hugo.

>--
>=== Hugo Mills: hugo at ... carfax.org.uk | darksatanic.net | lug.org.uk
===
>  PGP key: 515C238D from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
>            --- You're never alone with a rubber duck... ---

For me it's the same, but in Austria there is a provider called 3 (also
in Italy, UK, Hongkong, Australia.. Etc) which only provides 3G coverage
and they  extending the 3G coverage and switch off the GSM rooming, they
don't have own GSM antennas. In bigger cities you even can't use normal
GSM phones without 3G. Because of this 3G is for me a must.